samedi 11 juillet 2015

Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini

Book Blurb:

" Love burns. Worlds collide. Magic reigns. 

This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying many of the experiences that other teenagers take for granted...which is why she is determined to enjoy her first (and perhaps only) high-school party. But Lily's life never goes according to plan, and after a humiliating incident in front of half her graduating class Lily wishes she could just disappear.

Suddenly Lily is in a different Salem - one overrun with horrifying creatures and ruled by powerful women called Crucibles. Strongest and cruellest of all the Crucibles is Lillian . . . Lily's identical other self in this alternate universe. This new version of her world is terrifyingly sensual, and Lily is soon overwhelmed by new experiences.

Lily realizes that what makes her weak at home is exactly what makes her extraordinary in New Salem. It also puts her life in danger. Thrown into a world she doesn't understand, Lily is torn between responsibilities she can't hope to shoulder alone, and a love she never expected. But how can Lily be the saviour of this world when she is literally her own worst enemy? "


My review:


Trial by Fire was an okay read. I enjoyed getting to know this other world where witches rules. The pace was a little slow but luckily, it picked up during the last 30% of the book so that's okay. 

Without saying too much spoilers, I am going to try to explain what I disliked in this book. You will probably understand once you read this book, I hope. First of all, I disliked some of the characters. Lillian was a little too ruthless when it comes to her convictions. I didn't find Tristian to be a great character either. He was kind of a jerk to the main character, Lily. However I liked reading about the dynamics between the mechanics and Lily. I could have done without the Woven also, it was... weird at some moments.

I'll admit that i'm not particularly a fan of witches books but i had a good time reading this one and I'm curious to see what will happen next and to see Rowan's reactions. My long list of books I need to read might stop me from reading the next book. 


You can find it here on Goodreads. 


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire